The Florida Medical Board and Osteopathic Board have announced a joint meeting on February 10th. This is a joint rule hearing on the proposed changes prohibiting gender affirming youth care in Florida.
February 10, 2023
Joint Meeting of the Board of Osteopathic Medicine and The Board of Medicine
Department of Transportation Auditorium Burns Building @ 1:00 p.m. EST
605 Suwannee Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
The agenda and public book (compilation of submitted comments) have not yet been published. When they are published, they will be available at the Florida Board of Medicine’s Upcoming Meetings website page.
What We Know
- Youth can still start gender affirming care in Florida. If accepted, these rules will not go into effect until sometime in March 2023 at the earliest.
The proposed changes are:
- Florida youth under age 18 will not be able to start gender affirming care, including blockers (including puberty blockers and anti-androgens) or hormones such as testosterone and estradiol.
- Any surgical procedures which alter primary or secondary sexual characteristics will be prohibited as treatment for gender dysphoria.
- Florida youth already receiving blockers, hormones, or hormone antagonists at the time the rules are enacted will be able to continue care.
- Providers who violate these rules risk removal of their Florida medical license
To Submit a Written Comment:
Email BOMPublicComment@flhealth.gov by 5 pm EST, February 7, 2023
All submitted emails will be part of the public record.
You are welcome to use our suggested comment text when you contact the boards. You may use an alias/throwaway email account. You don’t have to be a Florida resident to comment!
To Request To Speak at the Joint Meeting:
Speaker cards will be available at the meeting. All public comments will become part of the public record. You may use an alias.
To Attend The Meeting:
The public is welcome, but seats may be limited. Equality Florida is likely to sponsor an action where you can join with others protesting these cruel changes.