Youth Gender Care
Adolescent gender care differs from adult patients in many ways.
Youth Gender Care
Youth gender care differs from adult care in many ways. Puberty blockers are an option to put a “pause button” on puberty and are completely reversible. QueerDoc provides gender affirming care including puberty blockers and hormone therapy to patients under the age of 18, we have no lower age limit. Patients under the age of 9 rarely need medical intervention, but we are happy to meet younger patients and families to answer questions and develop an individualized plan to met the needs of your young person.
We have no lower limit on the age of children we see. While QueerDoc highly supports the wrap-around service models of Adolescent Gender Clinics like Seattle Children’s, we recognize that not all gender-diverse youth happen to live in large urban environments where such services are accessible. QueerDoc partners with your local primary care provider to serve gender-diverse young people in all of our service areas - no travel required!
Family support and consent are required for youth or adolescent gender care by law. This can be very difficult to navigate and laws vary by state. Research shows that gender-diverse children and adolescents who feel supported and accepted by their families have better mental health outcomes than youth who are unsupported. QueerDoc is well-versed in navigating this and can help you understand care options and next steps. Book a free introductory appointment with us to learn more about our services. Below are several resources to help educate patients and families on adolescent gender health care.
- QueerDoc Puberty Blockers FAQ
- Puberty Blocking Medications – a review article
- Growing Up Trans on PBS
- Family Support Groups
- The Gender Unicorn – an infographic for understanding gender and sexual orientation
- Parental/Guardian online support tool
- Schools In Transition resource for schools
- Mothers in Transition resources for parents who share custody with an abusive partner or previous partner
- Trans Family Support Services – youth and parent support groups, insurance and care navigation, family support