It’s Aromantic Spectrum Awareness Week!!! Start you week off right by learning the lingo and saving someone so emotional labor!!!
Directly from Arocalypse Lexicon:
- aromantic: a person who does not experience romantic attraction
- demiromantic: a person who does not experience romantic attraction until a close emotional bond has been forged
- grey-romantic: a person who does not experience romantic attraction very often, or otherwise feels between a romantic and an aromantic on the romantic scale
- lithromantic: a person who experiences romantic love but does not want their feelings to be reciprocated.
- squish: a desire to spend time with someone specifically and get to know them personally, sans romantic feelings. A platonic crush
- queerplatonic relationship: a relationship that is not romantic but involves a close emotional connection beyond what most people consider friendship. The commitment level in a queerplatonic relationship is often considered to be similar to that of a romantic relationship. People in a queerplatonic relationship may be of any romantic or sexual orientation.
- zucchini: a term used to refer to a partner in a queerplatonic relationship. Roughly equivalent to the terms boyfriend/girlfriend for a romantic relationship
- amatonormativity: The widespread assumption that everyone is better off in an exclusive, romantic, sexual, cohabiting, financially entangled, long-term coupled relationship, and that everyone is seeking such a relationship.(With the implication that nobody would be better off in or seeking a different form of relationship.)
- lush: An intense attraction which is, primarily, sexual.
- romance repulsion: Where someone sees romance as something they wish to avoid. This may be romance from others towards them; social expectations to be romantic towards others or depictions of romance in popular culture.
- monogamy repulsion: Where someone sees monogamy as something they wish to avoid. This might be sexual monogamy, emotional monogamy or activity monogamy.
- romantic coded: Behaviours which are expected to be part of a romantic relationship and not other types of relationships. (e.g. kissing, hand holding, sex, dating.)
- quoiromantic/WTFromantic: Finds the idea of romantic attraction to be inaccessible, inapplicable, nonsensical. (Whereas an aromantic person does understand the idea of “romantic attraction”, as something they do not do.)
- quoiplatonic: Finds the idea of platonic attraction to be inaccessible, inapplicable, nonsensical. (A quoiplatonic person might also feel similarly about “squish” and “queerplatonic”.)
- cupioromantic: Where someone, who does not experience romantic attraction, desires a romantic relationship.