House Bill 71 (HB 71) was filed in Idaho on 2/2/23. Like Groundhog Day, these horrific bills targeting trans and gender diverse youth, their families, and their providers keep popping up.
Idaho HB 71 would:
- make providing gender affirming care to a minor a felony, punishable by
- $5k fine
- up to 10 years of incarceration
- bans gender affirming surgeries for youth
- bans puberty blockers for youth
- bans testosterone and estradiol for youth
- does not ban procedures done on children with Differences of Sexual Development IF they are genetic and verified with genetic testing (WTF?)
- does not ban detransition treatment
- encodes into law medical misinformation about sex, gender, gender affirming treatment, and risks and benefits of gender affirming treatment
- go into effect on January 1, 2024.
How To Fight Back Against HB 71
HB 71 is cosponsored by:
Representative Kevin Andrus KAndrus@house.idaho.gov
Representative Jordan Redman JRedman@house.idaho.gov
Representative Brandon Mitchell BMitchell@house.idaho.gov
Representative Jeff Cornilles JCornilles@house.idaho.gov
Representative Kenny Wroten KWroten@house.idaho.gov
Representative Lance Clow LClow@house.idaho.gov
Senator Ben Adams BAdams@senate.idaho.gov
Senator Daniel Foreman DForeman@senate.idaho.gov
and has been read in the Judiciary, Rules and Administration Committee (Chair. Bruce Skaug (BSkaug@house.idaho.gov))
Committe Members and Contact Information
Contact the above Idaho legislators AND your legislators and tell them how disappointed you are in their actions. If you are an Idaho resident, you can find your legislator here.
We’ve posted several blogs regarding similar legislation in states where we serve or have served patients: Florida, Montana, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. In each we have shared a letter which we welcome you to use and alter to fit. You are also welcome to reference Dr. Beal’s letter to legislators. Dr. Beal’s letter contains citations to the scientific literature supporting gender affirming care.
Here’s our suggested text for Idaho.
We don’t yet know of any organizations in Idaho who are planning rallies, petitions, call-ins, or other actions, but we will update this blog as needed. We are certain that, if passed, the ACLU of Idaho and other organizations dedicated to fighting for transgender rights will take action.
What You Can Do To Support Youth Rights In Idaho:
Follow and support groups in Idaho (this list is just the beginning):
For tracking legislation and resources:
- @erininthemorning (on Substack, on Twitter, and on TikTok)
- American Psychological Association Resources for State-Level Advocacy
Call and write to your legislators and the Governor expressing your dismay and anger. Talk to your friends and encourage them to do so, too.
Write letters to your local newspaper’s editorial board.
Donate to local groups supporting the community and to regional and national groups engaging in legal challenges.
Help us provide free or reduced cost care.
We provide gender affirming care for youth and adults in Idaho, including prescriptions for hormones (estradiol, testosterone, and progesterone,) blockers, antiandrogens (including bicalutamide,) and SERMs. We will continue to do so as long as we are legally able to do so.
QueerDoc is committed to providing gender affirming care, fighting against medical discrimination, and advocating against discriminatory laws – especially in the states where we practice.
Stay up to date with QueerDoc: